Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Papa is in a Nursing Home

When You’re Visiting a Loved One in a Nursing Home NursingHomes.org: When You’re Visiting a Loved One in a Nursing Home
by admin on October 27, 2010

My grandfather, I call him Papa who is my moms dad, was admitted to a Nursing Home about 6 weeks ago. I have been to visit him about 4 times since hes been there. I would have been more often, but since my van was in the shop for 3 weeks I was unable to make the one hr drive. I wanted to blog about this because I'm having trouble with it and feel I need to just get it all out.  It makes me VERY sad to see him living there. It makes me sad to see anyone living in a Nursing home. I think the Ideal way to live when your old is with your children or a loving family member in a real home. I know thou alot of times that situation isn't possible. Nursing homes are such lonely places. I'm glad that hes in the nicest nursing home in his town. I wish I was allowed to take him out to eat , to church or to a movie again. He told me because of insurance reasons he cant leave unless hes under the care of the nursing home staff. I know he sometimes gets to go to Walmart to shop with the nursing home staff. The day before he went to the nursing home I took him to see a movie. He really enjoyed it. 

 He told me the first time I went to visit him that he didn't want to live anymore. He said hes ready to go. But I don't want him to go. Hes the only gpa I have. My other gpa died when I was 7 yrs old. I don't even remember him. My Papa and mama divorced after 40 yrs of marriage. After being married to another women for 7 or 8 yrs he divorced her and remarried my mama. Six months later they got an annulment. So he doesn't have a wife to take care of him. I know my mama still loves him. I know she always will. None of my family members are able to stay home during the day to care for him so the only two choices are a nursing home or his own apt with a full time nurse or caregiver.  I don't know what a full time nurse or caregiver would cost but I'm guessing its as expensive as a nursing home. I'm going to go see him as much as I can. I hope he gets to come to Family Christmas this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment