Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Training to Run

This may bore anyone reading this but I'm going to write it cause its about ME and this is MY Blog!  Eight years ago I was in a car accident and broke my Right thigh bone in half. Since then I have not been able to RUN.  I had been walking and running for the past 25 or so years and I have to do what?? Learn to walk again!!! What a Hard thing for me to wrap my mind around. I will never forget the first time I got out of the hospital bed to sit in a potty chair next to my bed and could hardly move any part of my body especially my legs. My left leg was badly bruised. I lost  alot of muscle in my Right leg due to the way it broke. To fix the break I ended up with a metal rod inside my leg from my hip to my knee.  During weather changes Its True I hurt more.. NO lie.. I can feel a difference. In middle school I ran track my 8th grade year.. Loved running but I was the second slowest on my team :)  Its OK.. I did the best I could. I knew the others were better than me and I was OK with that. I just loved running! I also played soccer my 8th and 9th grade year. Again, I sucked at that that sport to. Hey at least I tried right! The summer after graduating High school I went to the track at the middle school and ran alot.  I loved to run when I was stressed!! Lately I have thought of the time I spent on that track at Delay Middle school and sometimes wish I could go back in time and be that young girl again with out a broken leg. My goal is to run in an organized race for some good cause sometime next year. Right now I cant run more than 2 mins with out feeling like my leg is going to give out.
So what I have to do is build muscle up in my leg. Good thing is my husband has one of those huge weight machines that is buried in the garage under a bunch of junk. we are going to clean it off so I can use it. It will especially come in handy this winter when its to cold to run outside. I will blog about my progress from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. update on running.. not doing so well. I have been 3 times to run and the last time did me in for days. I dont think running is going to work for me because of my hip and back problems. Im going to try to get an elipical machine soon so I can exercise indoors during winter and and also built up muscle better that way and not hurt my hip and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its great that you have a dream and you're willing to do whatever it takes. But, also think why do something so painful? Why not try another sport that doesn't require you to be in such pain. Not judging, though. If that really is your dream, I wish you the best!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. update on running. I was given a treadmill.. a really nice one. I have jogged ,but mostly walked on it about 5 times. I am hoping to get it moved from the garage to my bedroom soon. Its cold and smelly in the garage!!

    ReplyDelete